Saturday, March 13, 2010

Peaceful Moments

There is just nothing like going on a long run and then plopping down somewhere outside to let your body absorb all the work it just did and your senses absorb all the scenery and smells. I find these moments to be some of the most peaceful and calming. My mind slows down. I can pray. I can be thankful.

My dear friend Paul taught me how to do this in college. We would run around Lake Johnson (near NCSU) and stop on the long walking bridge at the end of the run - standing there without talking, just looking out over the water for about 10 minutes. It was the reward. From that point on, I grew to love those 10 minutes after my runs. I can find sanctuary in most outdoor places.

As you might have guessed, I had the opportunity to do just this today. I have a little meditation spot right off UNC campus that I love running back to. Just the baby and me. Maybe the baby will learn to love running just because I've been running while pregnant (albeit slower and with breaks).

Do you have a peaceful place? What brings peace to your heart?

1 comment:

Sheryl Towers said...

Great post! I find peaceful moments weekly in the temple. That's about the only place I can totally turn off the outside world and meditate.

Post a Comment