Tuesday, May 1, 2012

One Plea for Understanding

“The beginning of love is the will to let those we love be perfectly themselves, the resolution not to twist them to fit our own image. If in loving them we do not love what they are, but only their potential likeness to ourselves, then we do not love them: we only love the reflection of ourselves we find in them” ― Thomas Merton, No Man Is an Island.


I heard this quote today, and I thought it fit in beautifully with this topic I've been mulling over for a few weeks. I hope this isn't preachy or anything, it's just been begging to be let out of me... I'll open some thoughts with an illustration from a Sunday School lesson this past Sunday. We were talking about the requirements for salvation - specifically the process of repentance, the need for faith, and the need to succor to those in need (see Mosiah 4:8-27). There was a tangential discussion about the last point - taking care of those in need. Someone asked about a specific example - "What are we to do when we encounter a person begging for money on the street?" Differing opinions rose, from "We are required to impart of our substance..." to "I just give food in that situation..." to "I know that many beggars are not what they say they are, so I give in other ways..." This particular event happens a lot in our town Durham. Invariably, there are folks asking for money at specific traffic interchanges. They will walk near your car, the great guilt/anxiety comes over you, you choose to give or not. It is such an explicit example of this discussed principle, yet we approach it in very different ways.

 It got me thinking. Whatever your choice in those moments with that person asking for money - it is a reminder, an invitation. A reminder that there are people in our community who live in a vastly different situation than we do. Even if that particular individual you see is not really living in poverty (but I would venture to say most are), there are lots of people who are. Especially in the aftermath of economic downturn. How different would our reaction, our thoughts be if we actually knew that individual's story? What would he or she have to say? We make judgements because we have not heard those stories yet. One course of action would be to get to know the homeless population in Durham, through volunteering with the various non-profits that work with them (e.g., soup kitchens, free clinics, etc). I did a lot of this when I was in college, and I did get to know a number of homeless people living in Raleigh. It definitely shaped my perspective. Of course, it is wonderful to give to those in need, but how great the gift of your time and listening ear. These thoughts made me once again feel immense guilt at my own non-family-related endeavors after graduate school (job that isn't helping in the ways I want, less community volunteering, etc). There is just so much good to be done that I'm not yet doing!

 Last, another faith-related thought. I had a friend come over to talk with me last night, and she wanted to share some thoughts about the atonement. We spoke particularly of Christ's taking upon him all of our pains, weaknesses, and experiences in that event. One of the comforting messages we get from this doctrine is that Christ personally knows us, even each pain and heartache, when no one else truly can. This can empower us and help us to change. So, I was thinking, again... This process of getting to know others, especially through the power of personal narratives, in some ways is similar. We are learning the joys and pains of others - thus giving us understanding and empathy, replacing judgement. Moments of reaching more understanding for someone else have greatly, greatly moved me and forever changed me. This is true in literature, poetry, narratives, conversations, pictures, etc. It reinforces that quote from my last post "An enemy is someone whose story we do not know." Yes, yes, yes! We become better (and more Christ-like) as we take time to understand others, especially those that are different that us. This is something I try to do in most of my decisions - in moments of contemplating the {seeming} inconvenience of service, in the discomfort of walking into a new situation/relationship, spending time with loved ones, making plans to travel, in the wake of voting on issues that impact so many. How can we judge when the window is there to better understand? How much better our community and world as we learn from each other, and truly listen to stories.

 What do you think?

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Angie, This is a great discussion. Bruce's mom did a project with her church where she had little paper lunch bags in made up and put in the car to hand out when you come across a person in need (homeless. I don't remember everything about it, but I can send you an email if you want. We got her computer when she died and it is still on there.

Post a Comment