Our friend Marie got baptized last Saturday. We are so excited for her decision and her joining our church community! She has a wonderful, vibrant, and courageous spirit. I was asked to speak on the Holy Ghost at her baptism ceremony, and I wanted to share the talk with all of you:
The Gift of the Holy Ghost
Congratulations on your baptism! What a wonderful day and great step you have taken on your spiritual path to back to our Heavenly Father and to eternal life!
I am honored to be able to speak to you today about the next part of your baptism, baptism by fire, or the laying on of hands for receiving the Holy Ghost. After you receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost, your baptism will be complete; you will be cleansed from any sin and sanctified. You will also be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is worth taking a moment to talk about this next step and how the Holy Ghost can change your life.
The Holy Ghost is most often called “the Spirit” by members of the church. It is also called the Holy Spirit and the Comforter. It is the third member of the Godhead, which includes our Heavenly Father and his Son, Jesus Christ. The Holy Ghost is a personage of spirit and can dwell in our hearts continually. The Holy Ghost does many things: primarily, bears witness of “the truth of all things”, especially the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ; comforts us in need, guides us in small and big decisions, purifies and sanctifies us, warns us of danger, and inspires us. The Spirit is the backbone of the church, since we rely on members and church leaders to receive inspiration about their personal lives as well as the overall mission and ministry of the LDS church.
The Spirit can speak to us before we receive it as a Gift, as you will tomorrow. You know this from experiences you’ve had that led you to join this church and testified of gospel truths. You have also likely felt the Spirit’s influence throughout your life. Before I joined or knew much about this church, at times I would feel complete peace and happiness from the Holy Ghost, a feeling that everything was alright. I did not know what this was until much later when I was introduced to the church. In contrast to these intermittent visits, when you receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost, you are promised his constant companionship as you live worthily.
The Holy Ghost usually communicates with in a gentle way, often called the “still small voice”. This communication is slightly different for each person, but it is usually not an actual voice. Rather, the Spirit “prompts” us, or brings feelings to our heart, and thoughts to our mind. Promptings can also manifest themselves as a burning in our chest. The Lord describes the how Spirit bears witness of truth in D&C 9:8:
“You must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.”
You will learn to better recognize these feelings over time, and by following the promptings.
Sounds pretty great, right? Well, we must do our part as well. As members of the church, even after we receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost, we still must strive daily, even hourly to be worthy of his companionship. We must be clean, obey the commandments, desire the guidance of the Spirit, and be faithful. The prophet Nephi describes these prerequisites in 2 Nephi 31:13:
“Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I know that if ye shall follow the Son, with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent, repenting of your sins, witnessing unto the Father that ye are willing to take upon you the name of Christ, by baptism—yea, by following your Lord and your Savior down into the water, according to his word, behold, then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost; yea, then cometh the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost. And then can ye speak with the tongue of angels, and shout praises unto the Holy One of Israel.”
When we go off track, we are offered a chance to repent and become clean again. This happens as we partake of the Sacrament on Sunday with humble hearts. Sunday is like a re-fuel day – it is best to remove all distractions and focus on the spiritual so we can get back on track.
At the last General Conference, Elder David A. Bednar, one of the current apostles, gave a great talk about how to live worthy of the Holy Ghost. He speaks of the ordinance and our role this way:
"The ordinance of confirming a new member of the Church and bestowing the gift of the Holy Ghost is both simple and profound. Worthy Melchizedek Priesthood holders place their hands upon the head of an individual and call him or her by name. Then, by the authority of the holy priesthood and in the name of the Savior, the individual is confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and this important phrase is uttered: “Receive the Holy Ghost.”
The simplicity of this ordinance may cause us to overlook its significance. These four words—“Receive the Holy Ghost”—are not a passive pronouncement; rather, they constitute a priesthood injunction—an authoritative admonition to act and not simply to be acted upon (see 2 Nephi 2:26). The Holy Ghost does not become operative in our lives merely because hands are placed upon our heads and those four important words are spoken. As we receive this ordinance, each of us accepts a sacred and ongoing responsibility to desire, to seek, to work, and to so live that we indeed “receive the Holy Ghost” and its attendant spiritual gifts."
He also summaries three ways to “receive” the Holy Ghost: desire for his companionship, invite him through our actions and thoughts, and obey the commandments.
Last, I wanted to briefly share a personal experience I had as I was investigating the church a few years ago. For context, I had had a couple of discussions with my now husband, then boyfriend about the Holy Ghost and why/how communication could happen. I remember it sounded so great, but I felt very unworthy. One night, I was having a conversation with my mom about why events in my life were not turning out the way I’d hoped. I was very frustrated, and she told me “I think God is leading you in a different direction. Maybe this is not what he wants you to do right now.” In my selfishness and frustration, I had not really considered this. Her statement spoke straight to my heart. I pondered her words, and their implication – mostly that I was supposed to focus on my faith at this time and that I had been led to Aaron, and therefore the church. I thought on it all night, prayerfully. As I lay in my bed, I felt a burning in my chest. It was undeniable. I remember it was sort of like eating a peppermint and then drinking a cold drink. I was afraid to move for fear it would leave. Then, I knew. God had been leading me and would continue to lead me. I excitedly told Aaron the next day, and my journey to joining the church began. I have never forgotten that experience, and I strive to have more like that.
Tomorrow, as you are given gift of Holy Ghost and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, know you are promised something wonderful - a comforter, a teacher, and a revelator to be in your heart always. I pray that you and your family will be blessed richly by this gift and you will seek the Spirit in your thought and actions continually.
In the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.
1 comment:
You gave an awesome talk! ox
Post a Comment