Tuesday, January 18, 2011

When Science Goes Bad...

Aaron sent me this article today about the unethicial practices of Dr. Andrew Wakefield, the researcher who began the vaccine-autism controversy with a fraudulent research paper. We talk about autism in our home maybe a bit more than most, as Aaron is studying the genetics of autism and I have an autistic brother. Aaron also fields questions from folks, sometimes about vaccines. I respect any parent's concern for their child and valid worries about vaccines, but please know - autism and vaccines have never been linked. The study that claimed a correlation was bad science and falsified! It just gives us researchers the heebie-jeebies to think that a fraudulent study could get published in a major peer-reviewed journal like the Lancet (although the paper was retracted last year).

2 comments:

Miss Amy said...

Agreed. I am appalled that this actually is a true story. What a HUGE snowball effect this fraud created with his story. Thanks for sharing the article!

Lauren said...

Fascinating, isn't it?
Question...is there a link between things like pesticides and plastics, things used for food packaging, processed foods and disorders like autism, ADD, and ADHD?
The reason I ask is that autism has ballooned to almost 1 out of 110 children, with ADD and ADHD skyrocketing too. Things like bottled water, cooking with plastics, processed and packaged foods are pretty modern in the grand scheme of life.
Just a thought that has been weighing on my mind lately...

Post a Comment