Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Brest Friend

Not a Freudian slip, but a type of breastfeeding pillow...much like the famous boppy, shaped and contoured to fit around your waist and to support baby's little body. I never had a brest friend pillow, but I think they name is hilarious and its a nice segway for an update on the world of nursing:

I love it.

9 months ago I NEVER thought I would ever say that. Mastering breastfeeding was the second hardest event of my life. Constant stress, constant frustration, constant pain. How did I not get that memo? It took Kai and me about 6 weeks to get it down- longest 6 weeks of my life! But we made it. I gritted my teeth, cried, got lots of support, and pushed through. I now completely understand the urge and pressure to formula feed – if you remember, we did use forumla to supplement our weight-losing baby at the advice of our peds team. Based solely on my instincts and my support system, I decided to wean Kai off the formula at one month old...against the advice of his pediatricians. It worked, rather easily. Nature came through! I felt as though we stepped out of a cave and into the light. Big change to go from lack of confidence in my abilities to empowerment after our adapatation and strength.

Now, my little guy and me are in a great routine. I feel like breastfeeding is magical, a bit hard to believe superfood comes from me so easily and often. Nursing is our bonding time, and I cherish those sweet moments. I feel so grateful to those who support me and Kai. Thank you!

3 comments:

Metta said...

Cool! I was just about to do a post about things that had worked this past year, and I think that breastfeeding was on the top of my list. Isn't it great? I'm hooked. I just can't stop.

Libby said...

So special, isn't it? p.s. I've used the phrase "breast friend" many times....

Sheryl Towers said...

What a great post. You are a hero for sticking it out. I know you can accomplish anything you set your mind on, you are so amazing! Kai is very lucky to have you to make those special moments with. That kind of love is so hard to explain. ox momt

Post a Comment