Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Om Shanti


Kai and me in exalted warrior pose

Today, I reached my target post-baby weight! This is huge. I never knew it would be so hard to lose weight. Nearly ten months of off-and-on dieting, running, yoga, zumba, weight lifting, and resistance training put me here (more than I was doing before I was pregnant). I no longer wonder why folks lose motivation while trying to lose weight. IT IS SO HARD! New mommies pack on maternal fat stores, which are perfectly healthy and normal, in order to create fat needed for breastmilk (in cow's milk terms, think heavy cream). The baby gains weight and nutrients from this. Some lucky LUCKY ladies lose all their pregnancy weight just by breastfeeding. Some don't. I am one of the latter - I stayed exactly the same until I started moving and dieting. Today, I'm proud of myself and happy that I lost weight in a healthy and sustainable way.

In related news, I'm participating in a 3-week total yoga immersion in Carrboro next month. I'm stoked! I've been wanting to do an immersion for a few years, but never had time nor money to do it. After months of researching trainings, I decided to take one with Stephanie Keach, founder of the Asheville Yoga Center. I took a couple of classes at her studio (one of those with her) and adored them. I have heard her called the mama bear of yoga in the south. :) The training will teach me a ton about yoga, mostly focusing on Vinyasa Flow style, but also delving into Kundalini and Iyengar. I'll be set up to teach and adjust others, with a 200-hour level certification and the letters RYT behind my name. Wow! I'm a little nervous since I've been nursing a few injuries this year, but I am mentally prepared (or so I think). It'll be intense - 8 hrs in the studio M-Sat, with reading, writing, and home practice at night. Thank goodness for my awesome parents' help during this time!

The immersion really motivated me to get healthy again these past 10 months. It also brought me back to self-care and self-love. After Kai came into our lives, he was the center of all my thoughts and time. Slowly, I have learned how to take time for myself and still feel that I am giving him all the love and time he needs too. I belive realizing this life-goal will help me continue to strike that balance.

I've been practicing yoga for 10 years now, originally an student of Bikram Hot Yoga, later moving into Power Flow Yoga, now a little of everything. It strikes me the same way that dance used to: self-actualization, moving into beautiful shapes, imagery of the mind being played out by the body, healing hurts, having fun. It has a lovely spiritual aspect too - truly as heavy as you'd like. As most of you know, yoga involves feeling at one with/honoring those people and things around you and being at peace with yourself.

I'll keep you posted on the outcomes. Until then - Om Shanti, meaning a prayer for peace.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Angela, you're amazing! I feel ya on the weight loss, it's totally harder than I want it to be, great job! I had no idea you were so into yoga, your immersion class thing sounds great. You are so awesome. :)

Pants said...

Angela, this is Marti. I'm so inspired by you doing this immersion. I'd love to know how it went/is going.

Post a Comment