...Apparantly not. Sorry, I can't help it! I love my faith AND I love reading about/listening to/talking about others' perspectives on it. I have been following the recent Mormon Mommy Blog hype and the recent Brandon Davies hype via Google reader.
Here is MMB's response to ABC Nightline on the blog hype. I really like what they have to say:
"We choose to put our families first, and we make no apologies for it...we belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and that a common misconception is that we don't worship Christ. We are nicknamed Mormons because of the Book of Mormon, and not because of who or what we worship. We believe in God, the eternal Father. We believe in his son, Jesus Christ. We embrace Christ.
Not only do we embrace Christ, but we embrace His teachings, and our readers FEEL that in their hearts. When they read our blogs, they FEEL good. The goodness emanates from Mormon Mommy Blogs, because we embrace the teachings and principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ....Mormon Mommy Bloggers are a powerful force for good in this world, and they are spreading that goodness by sharing their lives through their blogs."
If you are among those fascinated by Mormon mommies, check out the super-cool Mormon Women Project.
As for Davies, I'm impressed with the amount of media attention. I am not a Cougar fan, as I didn't go to BYU, but Aaron most certainly is. We've been happy with the viewpoint of most sports commentators - BYU's enforcement of the honor code is a breath of fresh air, even if the code itself is (seemingly) too strict. However, Aaron was pretty upset about the unfounded opinions about BYU broadcast on NPR last week. He has written to them in complaint. Aaron is a die-hard NPR listener, and he has expressed concern before about pieces dealing with Mormonism being one-sided, usually negative. It is unfortuate reporting, since some listeners likely aren't getting a balanced view from other sources or (even better) from active members of the church.
All in all, I'm excited that the church (and its members) is in the news. Who doesn't love getting the "inside scoop" on these peculiar people? Let's just hope that the scoop is accurate, well-researched, and balanced.
3 comments:
Don't ever stop posting about the LDS religion. Be proud, keep standing tall. There are lots of people who respect and appreciate it~ like me! :) Thank you for the great thoughts and quotes.
NPR read some response letters to their Davies segment yesterday around 5:30. It's too bad that they didn't read Aaron's.
Excellent post, I'm proud to have you in our family.
Post a Comment