Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Lost Art


Last night I spent a few hours pouring over old letters, cards, and momentos from my childhood, youth, and young adulthood. It was invigorating to remember so many events and stages in my life, and I laughed out loud at how romantic and dramatic I was about everything. Most of those recollections came from my writing - I used to write, a lot. Poetry, stories, personal goals, memories, letters to boyfriends, letters to friends, letters to boys that I would never give them, and letters to myself. I had forgotten how frequently I wrote out my thoughts and feelings - very theraputic.

And, for your reading pleasure, here are some samples!

Advice Request for Teen Magazine - classic, right?
Dear Juli: I'm 13 and I haven't been kissed yet. All of my friends have. I've had plenty of boyfriends, but it's never happened. I feel so left out. I want to save my first time for someone I really care about. Is there something you can say to make me feel better? -Unkissed in Mississippi
_________________

Poetry writing instead of paying attention in class - I sound a little like a hippie

I am a sponge
Aching to soak up streets and laughs and prose
Spring myself to the corners
Being hit by the lightning of establishment, of belonging
Always searching
__________________

And...love poetry from a young innocent heart!

Weary head and bleary eyes
still spinning form a kiss
given hours ago

There is a swell of tears beneath me
My body is crying out for yours - its match
It cannot be calmed;

To comprehend this distance is madness

With every second I discover loving you
Fresh and begging
A dream that reached this world
Just for us

How, how did I ever find you?
What mercy granted and honor bestowed...
I am exposed, for you
Rewarded with a glance, a word, a thought
Millions of them flow together
To form every star in my sky

For so long love confused
Now it is pulsing through my veins
You are lingering in the air
Please stay the night, stay for all my life
________________________

These days, I ALMOST NEVER write letters and I NEVER write poetry or stories. How sad! There is so much contained in a letter compared to an email - the handwriting, the pictures, the use of space, etc. I miss this lost art of letter-writing. I hereby pledge to begin anew with letter writing and creative writing. I want the joy that comes from creating stories and images as you sift through your thoughts on paper.

Do you still write creatively or write letters?

2 comments:

Miss Amy said...

What beautiful words!!!! I also LOVE the new photo header you have. What a lovely family :) I just posted something today on keeping a journal too. I need to be better...especially about writing my feelings.

Sheryl Towers said...

Loved, loved, loved it all! Keep on writing, so I can keep on reading. :)momt

Post a Comment